Thursday, September 25, 2008

Caution Pet Poisonings & Dangers

Roanoke Island Animal Clinic
The Outer Banks of North Carolina is a wonderful place to live & vacation and a great place to bring your pet. But don't get caught off guard because it's so beautiful here. Just as anywhere else, there are many ways your four-legged friend can become accidentally poisoned.

Here are a few helpful tips to keep your pet healthy and safe.

 1) Antifreeze has a pleasant taste to dogs and cats but unfortunately very small amounts can be lethal. As little as one teaspoon of it can kill a dog. I have seen some rental units "winterize" the cottages by pouring antifreeze into the toilets & some dogs tend to use these as drinking bowls. Check your house & garage to be sure there are no spills left around. If you think your pet became exposed to antifreeze, contact your veterinarian right away!

2) Keep all prescriptions and over the counter drugs out of the reach of your pets, preferably in closed cabinets. Remind guest to store their medications safely as well. Pain killers, cold medicines, anti-cancer drugs, antidepressants, vitamins, & diet pills are common examples of human medication that could be potentially lethal even in small dosages.

3) Toxic plants: Oleander, is very toxic. As little as one leaf can kill a pet. Rhododendron, Azalea, Rosebay & Foxglove are cardio toxic. And don't forget mushrooms. Even though most are safe, since it is difficult to tell, all mushrooms should be considered toxic. Don't allow your pet to eat mushrooms for this reason.

4) There are many pesticides that can cause harm to your pet. The most dangerous form of pesticides include: snail bait containing metaldehyde, fly bait containing methomyl, systemic insecticides containing disyston or disulfoton, zinc phosphide containing mole or gopher bait and most forms of rat poisons. Watch for these products and keep them away from your pets.

5) The ocean & sound, while fun to play inn can cause special problems. Ingestion of too much salt water can make your dog very sick. It can produce sever vomiting and diarrhea which may require aggressive medical attention. And sand can cause either diarrhea or sand impaction. Dogs are pretty resistant to jelly fish but if they eat or lick one, it can cause pretty nasty mouth inflammation.

6) One last point. Be certain your pet is properly vaccinated especially for rabies and have their tags with them. Also have id tags on them too in case they become lost in this "far away world."

Have a Great Vacation!!!
Mark Grossman DVM, MS
Roanoke Island Animal Clinic

This is an article published by Pampered Pets Guide 
 in Vol. 5 page24
 

Currituck Annual Free Rabies Vaccine Clinic

photo by Seaside Photography I heard there was an Annual Free Rabies Vaccine Clinic at the Currituck County Judicial Center Saturday, Octobe...